“To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.” - Kurt Vonnegut
Retro Sorrento is where you will find contemporary, vintage-inspired items to style your home and your life. Retro Sorrento artwork and handmade designs are created to add bold color to your life and energize your soul.
Here you will find color-saturated artwork and illustrations, inspired by nostalgia, nature, and a free-spirit lifestyle. In addition to artwork you will come across bohemian crochet jewelry of original design, based off of vintage patterns and styles with a modern twist.
Retro Sorrento was founded in 2009 on Etsy by artist and illustrator Maria Vallese. Maria is a 2010 graduate of Rochester Institute of Technology with a BFA in illustration. She has been drawing and painting since she was a little girl at her grandmother's kitchen table, and crocheting since the age of 8. Soon after Maria began her online shop she began selling at local independant craft shows such as the Indie Garage Sale in Utica, NY and Chicks Along the Canal in Little Falls, NY. Retro Sorrento now sells her artwork and jewelry at 10-15 shows a year across Upstate New York. You can also find her artwork in several shops and galleries throughout the area.
Where to Find Retro Sorrento:
- Signature 81 - Clinton, NY
- The Indie Garage Sale - Utica, NY
- Chicks Along the Canal - Little Falls, NY
- Mayday! Underground - Rochester, NY
- Destination Create - Deansboro, NY
- Several Craft Shows, trunk shows and farmer's markets - please check Calendar for more details!
- Maria Vallese/Rosa Oliveri Art Exhibit, The Dev, Utica NY March 2016
- MWPAI Sidewalk Art Show 2015, 2014, 2011, 2010
- "Star Wars v. Star Trek" Gallery at the Tech Garden, Syracuse, NY 2016
- "Love Me Do" Strut Gallery 2014
- 2014 ProjectU Display, Downtown Utica
- MadeInUtica.com featured artist 2014
- Electric Nostalgia, Solo Exhibit, Urban Headquarters Utica, 2011
- 2010 RIT Senior Illustrators Exhibit at Gallery R in Rochester, NY
- Made In Utica
- Saranac Brewery
- DJ Ease One
- Suzi's Place Diner
- Christine's Cookie Shoppe
- The Mustard Seed
- Mohawk Valley Refugee Center